State, Federal and American Rescue Plan Act Funding for Investments in Housing, Conservation, Working Lands Businesses, and Rural Economic Development
The Governor and General Assembly agreed on a total appropriation of $168.8 million in state and federal funds to VHCB as a result of the 2021 Legislative Session — $14.8 million in base funding and $154 million in supplemental funding including from the federal American Rescue Plan Act State Fiscal Recovery Fund (ARPA-SFR). VHCB will also receive $9.8 million in ARPA funding from HUD through the federal HOME Program targeted to housing those experiencing homelessness during the pandemic. HUD guidance on the program and eligible uses of HOME-ARPA is expected later this year.
VHCB expects to award these funds over the next two fiscal years to accelerate the production and rehabilitation of housing by non-profit and private housing developers, to conserve farmland, natural areas, forestland, and recreational lands, for VHCB's Vermont Farm & Forest Viability Program to assist working lands enterprises, and to assist communities with grant writing services through the Rural Economic Development Initiative.
VHCB invites applications for the new housing funding according to the following schedule for upcoming information sessions, application deadlines and board meeting dates over the next several months.
Beginning in June 2021, VHCB committed supplemental state funding as well as ARPA-SFR funds, primarily to assist Vermonters experiencing homelessness. These awards are the result of a call for applications issued earlier this spring in anticipation of state fast-track funding and the need for hundreds of new homes for these households.
The first general application due date for supplemental VHCB state funds and ARPA-SFR funds is July 23, 2021 for consideration at a board meeting September 29, 2021. The applications will be reviewed consistent with VHCB funding policies and the Interim Final Rule and associated guidance for ARPA-SFR issued by the U.S. Treasury Department.
- Non-profit and Private Housing Developers, municipalities, and cooperative housing organizations are invited to apply for the federal ARPA-SFR funding as well as federal HOME Program and National Housing Trust funding administered by VHCB.
- Non-profits, municipalities, and cooperative housing organizations are eligible to apply for state VHCB funding, both supplemental and base.
Information Sessions for Applicants for ARPA-SFR Housing Funds
VHCB held two public information sessions in July to answer questions and to gather feedback on the proposed uses of ARPA-SFR.
Powerpoint presentation for the information sessions
Recording of information session July 12
SUBMIT WRITTEN COMMENTS
Written comments on proposed uses of the funds can be submitted until July 31st to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Due Dates:
July 23, 2021 for consideration at a board meeting September 29, 2021
November 29, 2021 for consideration at a board meeting on January 26, 2022 and
February 25, 2022 for consideration at a board meeting on May 13, 2022
Focused Areas for Investment with Supplemental Funding
Housing ($144 million in State General Fund, Property Transfer Tax Revenue, and ARPA-SRF)
- Fast-track housing for those experiencing homelessness
- Advancing at more rapid speed the production of mixed-income, multi-family housing
- Mobile Home Park infrastructure upgrades, park purchases and replacement of abandoned homes in mobile home parks
- Recovery Residences to help Vermonters coping with addiction
- Helping renters move into homeownership, relieving pressure on the rental market
- Addressing a backlog of requests for accessibility improvements through the Vermont Center for Independent Living’s Home Access Program
- Developing incentives to promote the development of Accessory Dwelling Units across Vermont
- Farmworker housing repair and replacement program
More Information/To Apply for Housing Funds:
- VHCB ARPA Interim Guidelines and Procedures
- VHCB ARPA Frequently Asked Questions
- Board meeting dates and application deadlines
- General information about applying for VHCB, ARPA-SFR, HOME, HOME-ARPA, and National Housing Trust Funds, the housing application, required checklists and Supplemental Application for ARPA funding
- Standard conditions for ARPA-SFR funding awards