The Viability Program provides grants of up to $40,000 to help Vermont farmers invest in water quality-related on-farm infrastructure. This program is funded by the State of Vermont.
Any Vermont farm with a gross farm income of $15,000 or more that is required to comply with Vermont’s Required Agricultural Practices (RAPs).
Projects to make on-farm capital improvements that also have direct, positive impacts on water quality are eligible for funding. The following types of projects have been funded in the past:
- Construction, renovation, or upgrades to farm infrastructure
- Purchase of equipment that will be used frequently; is essential to the business; cannot be rented; and leads to innovative farm practices (*Note: Applications for equipment must include a price quote).
A minimum of one-to-one match funding is required. Match can be in the form of state or federal grants. Match can also be in the form of cash, loans, or in-kind labor from the applicant but is not required to be.
The 2022 Water Quality Grant round has closed.
Applications submitted in advance of the deadline will be reviewed for funding.
We encourage all applicants to use the web-based application, where possible. If you plan to submit an application, please email Aaron Guman at @email for login credentials and further instructions on using our new online application.
1) APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please read before beginning your application.
3) WATER QUALITY GRANT APPLICATION: Completing this PDF is not required for the online application, however it may be helpful to review the application before filling it out.
4) WATER QUALITY GRANT BUDGET TEMPLATE: This template will also be available for download within the application.
If you have questions about this grant or would like to understand alternative ways to submit your application, please contact Aaron Guman at @email or 828-5587.
VHCB Water Quality Grants Flier with Assistance Resources
Water Quality Grants
Recent Success Stories
Dorset Peak Jerseys Awarded Water Quality Grant
In November 2017, Caleb & Jessie Smith, owners of Dorset Peak Jerseys in Danby, VT, were awarded a $40,000 Water Quality Grant to build a covered barnyard & freestall barn.