water quality grant Application now Open - deadline January 27, 2023!
The Viability Program provides grants of up to $40,000 to help Vermont farmers invest in water quality-related on-farm infrastructure. This year, the program is funded by Federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds, but VHCB reserves the right to use other funding sources if necessary. All grantees will be required to comply with VHCB and Federal ARPA requirements.
Any Vermont farm with a gross farm income of $15,000 or more that is required to comply with Vermont’s Required Agricultural Practices (RAPs).
Projects to make on-farm capital improvements that also have direct, positive impacts on water quality are eligible for funding. The following types of projects have been funded in the past:
- Construction, renovation, or upgrades to farm infrastructure
- Purchase of equipment that will be used frequently; is essential to the business; cannot be rented; and leads to innovative farm practices (*Note: Applications for equipment must include a price quote).
A minimum of one-to-one match funding is required. Match can be in the form of state or federal grants. Match can also be in the form of cash, loans, or in-kind labor from the applicant but is not required to be.
Awards will be paid on a reimbursement basis upon the receipt of project invoices.
Read about previously awarded Water Quality Grants in FY 2022.
Applications are OPEN NOW and due January 27, 2023.
Decisions expected to be announced by April 2023. Projects will have a compliance date of November 1, 2025 with an option for extensions depending on project circumstances.
Applications submitted in advance of the deadline will be reviewed for funding.
1) APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & APPLICATION QUESTIONS: Please read before beginning your application. Application questions are available in the instructions here if you'd like to use them for reference, but please complete the application through the online portal (details below).
2) LINK TO REQUEST APPLICATION LOGIN: If you plan to submit an application, please request a login to our application portal. You will receive login credentials and instructions within 2 business days from @email. Please request login information as soon as you are certain you will apply.
3) WATER QUALITY GRANT BUDGET TEMPLATE: This template will also be available for download within the application and will be required for completing the application.
If you have questions about this grant or would like to understand alternative ways to submit your application, please contact Betsy McGavisk at @email or 802-828-5562.
We will be hosting two informational zoom sessions if you have eligibility or application questions. Please register below:
Water Quality Grants
Recent Success Stories
Dorset Peak Jerseys Awarded Water Quality Grant
In November 2017, Caleb & Jessie Smith, owners of Dorset Peak Jerseys in Danby, VT, were awarded a $40,000 Water Quality Grant to build a covered barnyard & freestall barn.