Member Recruitment Process:
VHCB AmeriCorps Member applicants apply directly to a specific position/host site through the online National AmeriCorps Portal using a standard AmeriCorps Application. Applications are received at the VHCB AmeriCorps office and then immediately forwarded on to the appropriate Host Site.
Once you have received applications, the first step is to interview candidates you are interested in.
- Please use the VHCB AmeriCorps Member Interview Packet. Be aware: VHCB AmeriCorps requires notes from the interview, notes from at least one phone reference check. You may use the interview form included in the interview packet, or submit your own form of notes.
- There are 3 mandatory questions that should be asked in all member interviews - please include the responses to these questions in your interview notes.
- While interviewing, please inform the candidate that any information that they disclose in the interview process may be shared with VHCB AmeriCorps.
- Beyond the 3 mandatory questions, you may facilitate the interview according to the needs of the host sites. If you are unfamiliar with interviewing, be sure to review what is legal/not legal to ask in an interview, and let us know if you’d like any guidance.
- You may interview as many candidates that you are interested in and there is not a set minimum of candidates you must interview.
- Most applicants have applied to multiple AmeriCorps positions – don’t wait to engage an applicant that seems like a potential fit or they will likely no longer be available!
Once you have completed an interview and identified the candidate you’d like to select, you must conduct at least one phone reference check. Documentation of the phone reference check must be submitted to Program staff - you may use the optional AmeriCorps phone reference check form, or may submit your own notes. You may make use of the 2 written references provided with the application, or ask the candidate for additional references.
Once you have selected a candidate, you need to send all of the applicant’s materials to VHCB AmeriCorps included in the Complete Interview Packet. VHCB AmeriCorps staff will review the application, interview notes, and take the first steps in conducting the National Service Criminal History Check. If the candidate meets VHCB Program staff approval, we will send the position offer to the candidate.
When a candidate returns an Intent-To-Commit Form included in the position offer, we will consider the position filled and close the application process.
Host Sites are responsible for recruitment of the member. We suggest running ads, posting on Craigslist and other online resources, word of mouth, front porch forum, etc. VHCB AmeriCorps will place general ads in Craigslist and Seven Days. When advertising, host sites should indicate that the position is part of the AmeriCorps program, and should be consistent with AmeriCorps language, and use the AmeriCorps Logo when possible. We are happy to review advertisements and assist with AmeriCorps lingo.
Candidates interested in the position should be directed to the VHCB AmeriCorps website AmeriCorps Positions page first. Full position descriptions are listed here along with a link for the candidate to apply. Due to character limits, positions are only partially listed on the AmeriCorps Portal.
Now – August 26th: Positions are open to applicants. Host sites may opt for an early application deadline. Host Sites should actively advertise the positions during this time.
Host Sites interview and conduct phone interviews on candidates of interest. Application Materials are sent to VHCB AmeriCorps for approval and to make position offers. Successful Candidates must accept the position by August 30th, 2019.
Please note, AmeriCorps has instituted a new policy and practice at the National level which requires members to be pre-enrolled and clear their criminal history check before they are allowed to begin service. This process takes 5 business days, therefore candidates must be pre-enrolled by August 30th to begin service on September 9th.
August 31st – September 8th: VHCB staff pre-enroll members and conduct Criminal History checks on Applicants.
September 9th – September 11th: VHCB AmeriCorps Orientation
September 12th: Members begin service at the host site.