AmeriCorps Member Recruitment Process:
VHCB AmeriCorps candidates apply directly to a specific position/host site through the online National AmeriCorps Portal, MyAmeriCorps, using the standard AmeriCorps Application. Applications are received at the VHCB AmeriCorps office and then immediately forwarded on to the host site. Resumes and other applications can be accepted to begin the process, though an AmeriCorps Application complete with two written references must be submitted for all successful applicants before a final position offer is made.
It is the host site's responsibility to interview candidates of interest (info below), conduct follow-up reference checks, and select the candidate of choice for the position. After a selection has been made, the host site notifies VHCB AmeriCorps staff and sends VHCB staff a copy of interview notes, copy of reference check notes and any other materials submitted by the applicant. VHCB AmeriCorps staff will inform the candidate that they've been selected for the position, and begin the enrollment process.
AmeriCorps Interviews and Reference Checks:
Applications are collected on a rolling basis. You should follow up quickly with any qualified applicants. Once you have received a qualified applicant, the first step is to conduct an interview.
- Please use the VHCB AmeriCorps Member Interview Packet. Be aware: VHCB AmeriCorps requires notes from the interview and notes from at least one phone reference check. You may optionally use the interview form included in the interview packet, or submit your own form of notes.
- Be sure to confirm that the applicant is aware this is an AmeriCorps position, and to inform them that results of the interview may be shared with VHCB AmeriCorps.
- There are 3 mandatory questions that should be asked in all member interviews - please include the responses to these questions in your interview notes.
- Beyond the 3 mandatory questions, you may facilitate the interview according to the needs of the host sites. If you are unfamiliar with interviewing, be sure to review what is legal/not legal to ask in an interview, and let us know if you’d like any guidance.
- You may interview as many candidates that you are interested in and there is not a set minimum number of candidates you must interview.
- Most applicants have applied to multiple AmeriCorps positions – don’t wait to engage an applicant that seems like a potential fit or they will likely no longer be available!
- Host sites may review applicants on a rolling basis, and do not need to wait for the application deadline to select a candidate.
- You must conduct at least one phone reference check on the candidate you'd like to select. Documentation of the phone reference check must be submitted to VHCB staff - you may use the optional AmeriCorps phone reference check form, or may submit your own notes. You may make use of the 2 written references provided with the application, or ask the candidate for additional references.
Once you have decided on the candidate you'd like to choose, please inform VHCB AmeriCorps staff and attach interview notes, phone reference check notes, and any other documentation submitted by the candidate. VHCB AmeriCorps staff will review the application, interview notes, and take the first steps in conducting the National Service Criminal History Check. If the candidate meets Program requirements, VHCB staff will send the candidate a position offer. While it is fine to let the candidate know that you have recommended them for the position to AmeriCorps staff, please do not offer them the position!
Included in the position offer notification is an Intent-To-Commit Form for the Member to complete. When a candidate returns the Intent-To-Commit Form included in the position offer, we will consider the position filled and close the application.
Timeline for Full Time Member Recruitment:
July-August: Positions are open to applicants. Host sites may opt for an earlier application deadline. Host Sites should actively advertise the positions during this time.
Please note, AmeriCorps requires members to clear their criminal history check at least one day before they are allowed to begin service. This process commonly takes about 1 week from the time it is initiated with the member. Candidates must be fully cleared to begin service on the start date.
Early/Mid-September: VHCB AmeriCorps Orientation
Day after orientation: Members begin service at the host site.
Host Sites are responsible for advertising and outreach for the position. We suggest running ads, posting on online platforms, using word of mouth, front porch forum, etc. VHCB AmeriCorps will place general program ads in Seven Days, as well as list all positions on Handshake and Indeed.com.
When advertising, host sites should indicate that the position is part of the AmeriCorps program, should be consistent with AmeriCorps language, and should use the AmeriCorps Logo when possible. We are happy to review advertisements and assist with AmeriCorps lingo.
Candidates interested in the position should be directed to the VHCB AmeriCorps website AmeriCorps Positions page first. Full position descriptions are listed here along with a link to the application. Due to character limits, positions are only partially listed on the AmeriCorps Portal.