

Land Access and Opportunity Board Sub-committee: Advisory Powers & Advocacy

October 3rd, 2023, 11:00 – 12:00 pm / Meeting Facilitator: Jessica Laporte, CROs

Attendee	Present	Not Present - includes Board Alternates
Board	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● Xusana Davis, Office of Racial Equity ● Dan Coutu, VT Commission on Native American Affairs (VCNAA) ● Brian Cina, NASW 	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● Susan Aranoff, Vermont Developmental Disabilities Council ● Rev. Mark Hughes, VRJA

Agenda & Notes

1. Meeting Convened by Facilitator, Jess Laporte @ 11:00am	
2. Welcome & Overview of Agenda	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● Jess: Wanting the sub-committee spaces to be a place for folks to bring what’s top of mind, what needs to get done, and be able to engage in that together. I’m bringing items each time we meet, and want others to add other important items or priorities.
3. Review & Update Outreach Materials	<p>Intro Survey for Outreach to Advisory Powers orgs - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1658dAZ6QUpSFAHXmJ0n8kD9wXuo_vKQy_aNwmP_b0Lo/edit</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● Follow-up from 10/2 Meeting ● Comments in doc & other revisions <p>Dan: the meeting last night made me feel like we’ve done a pretty good job with it.</p> <p>Jess: thanks, Xusana, for sharing the survey with Jay. That feedback was helpful. We’ve covered a lot of ground in the survey. Before getting into how the data will be collected or how the survey is formatted, I wanted to hop to question #15 where Jay made a comment. We don’t know what will actually be shared with us, even if the organizations have the data.</p> <p>Dan: I still think this question is worth asking. Sometimes not getting an answer is important too.</p> <p>Xusana: If people are unwilling to share, ok. I think we should have a disclaimer at the top spelling out how we’re approaching confidentiality and who have access to their responses.</p> <p><u>Introduction and addressing how information shared would be used</u></p> <p>Dan: We do mention this, as a public board, though we may need to add more language. “Internal use only” or something else.</p> <p>Xusana: Even if they can’t give us the data, they could provide a narrative or general explanation of the data.</p> <p>Jess: Let’s dig in here. How will it be used? It could be summarized and circulated or publicly available. Let’s add language in.</p>

Xusana: I remember us talking about having a vendor come in and do an audit. That would be a third party that we want to mention. “Your responses may be viewable by Board members, staff, and contracted third parties to advance this work.”

Dan: What about a non-disclosure agreement?

Xusana: Yeah, that’s a good point.

Jess: There could be sensitive information. We also might get things copied and pasted from a report, written out by a staffer, maybe reports or abstracts themselves. We’ll get a hodge podge of information. How do we want to share this with the Board?

Xusana: We’ll probably have to be the ones to comb through and extrapolate. Spell out what would be helpful information to receive. Page numbers, references, etc.

Jess: Would we make some of that back and forth or take on the onus to distill information to the Board?

Brian (*in chat*): Can we say something like this: “Information shared is accessible to the board and may be shared publicly. If there are concerns about sharing info, please contact (insert name).” Also we could ask them to summarize in this survey and to provide link to the source of that summary.

Dan: I was thinking that if they have concerns about information being shared, they can state that in their responses.

Brian: The reason why I suggested a contact point is that sometimes people ask me something and I don’t want to put it in writing for different reasons. I’m sensitive about this stuff. Someone might be afraid to put things in writing to indicate their concern. I like the idea of having some contact point in there to offer that option.

Jess: We don’t have a clear point of contact right now, without staff and facilitators would not be the appropriate people to discuss with.

Brian: I’d be willing to be a contact point.

Dan: If there’s sensitive information to be sharing with the Board, they’re welcome to share with Board members they have a relationship with already. I was working with the assumption that this sub-committee would have meetings with all the organizations.

Jess: That wasn’t my understanding. I do like the idea of having contact points on the Board.

Xusana: I can be a contact point too.

Brian: I think Xusana would be another good person who could handle sensitive information well. An equity director and social worker are trustworthy.

Jess: Disclosure and consent are somewhat different than how we will share information. Adding language in the survey for your review - please take a look. In the “how to provide information” section, I added language to be clearer about what we’re looking for.

Xusana: Make the confidentiality section clearer so that we’re not being contacted unnecessarily about the survey broadly.

Question 15 with outstanding comment

Xusana: The question in my mind that came up “do you collect data?” and then “can you share data?” Even if we can’t have the data, it’s worthwhile to know if they’re collecting it. I think I’m also ok with leaving it behind, but I feel like there’s some utility to keeping this type of question. Responses from different organizations will be so different. It could be valuable in just knowing whether or not they have data.

Dan: Because of the LAOB’s directive, we’re looking through their lens of protected classes. We’re not making assumptions about what they do, we’re trying to learn about what’s there. It instills a bit of awareness. Might make them think about looking into gathering data on protected classes.

Brian: Sometimes one program has a lot of data collection, some have none. We will see big discrepancies in data. Data collection and how it’s being used is huge right now. If there are concerns about data, we should be exposing that now. The rapidly growing use of AI is a big topic.

Jess: We want to ask a question about data around protected classes, trends, etc. “Can you share” is potentially a narrative-type question. We’ve already asked for the data, this is offering a space to explain more.

Xusana: I think I like the original version of it more.

Jess: Is this survey focused just on land and home ownership, or is this survey broader? This is the question I’m hearing come up as we parse out different types of access.

Brian: Maybe something we explore as a board is the construction of ownership. Maybe housing shouldn’t be owned that way. Leave room for data that speaks to these bigger issues, the connection between people and place.

Jess: I wholeheartedly appreciate and want to give space for the questioning. We can continue to have conversations to support diving deeper. For this survey, what’s our goal? Some of the agencies we’re reaching out to don’t focus directly on land and home ownership. This survey is helping to narrow where the Board looks to next with the overlap of land, farmland, home ownership in the construction of our capitalist society.

Dan: the statute does explicitly address ownership. In the future, we might be able to expand the purview.

Brian: recognizing the behavior I’m exhibiting here as we’re trying to wrap up these materials. Maybe we come back to these questions after we send out the survey and bring questions to the Board about ownership.

Jess: My goal today was to actually be able to send out this survey today. Our next meeting is next Tuesday. Looking at the organizations we want to send to first, VHCB is in there. We may want to hold off on sending to them first because we have a lot of different exchanges happening with them right now.

Xusana: That sounds fine to me.

Jess: We can ask organizations to hit on different points made in the survey. Would one of you be willing to send this out to VHFA with the intro letter?

Brian: I would. However, someone might not like me politically and it may influence their responses. I could send it and copy Xusana, Dan, Susan, Jess, Mindy, staff. I could send it on behalf of the group to make it less about me.

	<p>Jess: I will put the final versions of the letter and survey, as well as who to include. Would anyone be able to jump to the third on our list?</p> <p>Xusana: Yes, I have to go, but let's follow up afterward.</p> <p>Brian: Will you send me the pdfs?</p> <p>Jess: I'll send you the whole shebang! I'll transform this into a google form and share pdfs too so that folks can see all the questions.</p>
<p>4. Advisory Powers Learning Journey</p>	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● Notes to draft an initial explanation/visual ● Advisory Powers in Act 182 ● Learning Journey for LAOB <ul style="list-style-type: none"> ○ Introduction of the board to relevant institutions acknowledged in Act 182 ○ Invite to institution/staff to LAOB meetings and process ○ Request information through Introductory Survey ○ Invite institution to present to LAOB and participate in a Question & Answer following ● Future Engagement <ul style="list-style-type: none"> ○ LAOB may follow-up on Introduction Survey and Presentations with 1) Feedback, 2) Questions and 3) Recommendations for the institution ○ LAOB may share information collected with new staff and future consultants ○ Planned project for FY24 engage a consultant to conduct an Equity Assessment of state spending on housing and landownership and related programs.
<p>5. Gathering next steps</p>	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● Next Meeting Tues 10/10 then skip 10/17 and pick-up on every other week starting 10/24
<p>6. Meeting Adjourned at 12:00pm</p>	